What is the Social Justice Leadership Institute?
Focused on individual identity development, expanded political analysis, personal leadership skills and network transformation tools, the Social Justice Leadership Institute (SJLI) supports students to acquire a deeper understanding of how systems of race, class, gender and sexuality impact our lives and the lives of our peers.
This two day interactive retreat joins student leaders from top New England independent schools to learn, connect and take action with the support of our experienced multiracial staff team. The most powerful outcome of SJLI is the justice work that students bring back to their schools.
Fees include $350.00/participant and $50.00/chaperone.
What will students gain?
- An expanded understanding of how systems of race, class, gender and sexuality impact you and your peers
- A set of tools to address microaggressions and other interpersonal forms of oppression
- Skills to take increased leadership roles within your school institution
- Access to a larger network of social justice leaders within AISNE schools
What are people saying?
- “This is SO good. I mean, it’s hard. But it’s really good!”
- “Thank you for allowing me to touch upon my heart and not just my head!”
- “I liked that we got up to get to know each other in a context greater than the facts of our identities.”
Questions? Need to register? Contact us at SJLI@bostonmobilization.org or by phone at 617-492-5599.
We aim to host two Institutes a year. Past schools hosts have included Phillips Academy Andover, Northfield Mount Hermon School and St. Paul’s School. Please reach out if you are interested in becoming a host school for a future SJLI!